SIDELINE TEAM SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS | 3RD - 8TH GRADE
YOUTH TEAM (3RD-5TH) & JUNIOR TEAM (5TH-8TH)
Beginning to Intermediate Motion Technique and Jumps • Beginning to intermediate Dance Technique • Beginning Stunting Skills or willingness to try • Loud Voice • Tumbling expectations: None
Sideline will run August-October. We are still confirming practice days/times with the WLWV School District.
There are no tryouts for sideline teams. Everyone who registers will be on a team. All athletes will start team practices in the Summer within their grade group. Youth Team 3rd-5th | Junior Team 6th-8th.
Starting in June, squad members will learn cheers online (provide by coaches). In person practice are scheduled to start 1x-2x a week in August (days/time/location TBD).
In the Fall, squad members will cheer at home football games, and playoff games 1x/week. The team will cheer at a random selection of West Linn Youth Football games.
This team is great for athletes looking to learn more about cheerleading, or for those interested in trying out for our competitive program in September.
The registration period for this team is May 22nd-June 5th.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to qualify to register for our 2021-22 competitive cheer program, eligible cheerleaders must participate on our Sideline Team. This is a requirement because we teach basic skills/technique needed for competition season during our sideline season. We are building on skills all year! A second registration period for our competitive team will happen in September. There will be additional fees to continue through the Winter, then what is outlined on the Sideline Season registration packet. Competition packets will be available after Labor Day.
Because of COVID-19 activity restrictions dates/location/times may not be confirmed until end of July. Thank you for your continued flexibility!
COMPETITION TEAM SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS | 5TH - 8TH GRADE
Beginning to Intermediate Motion Technique and Jumps • Beginning to intermediate Dance Technique • Beginning to Advanced Stunting Skills or willingness to try • Loud Voice • Tumbling expectations: minimum of a Forward Roll, Cartwheel and Roundoff. Working running or standing Back Handsprings and higher.
- Runs September - early March
- Practice 2x-3x/week. 2-3 hour practices
- Competitions are on Saturdays and/or Sundays almost all weekends in Jan-Feb
- Must participate in Sideline Team - Football season
- We will take a maximum of 25 athletes on this team, but as few as 12. We will be having team evaluations to decide on team placement/size
- Team evaluations will take place in September. Date TBD
- Competition Choreography Dates: (TBD) (all day commitment)
- The week of Thanksgiving – No Practice
- The week of Christmas – No Practice
- Jewelry is not allowed to be worn at practices, team events, or competitions. Do not get a new piercing
- Nails must be cut short. Fake nails are not allowed. Nail polish is not allowed at competitions
- Higher time commitment level – For the success and safety of the competition team, we ask if you plan to miss more than 3 practices (Oct-Feb), or competition choreography (TBD), that you only participate on the Sideline Team.
- Missing more then 3 practices may result in being moved to a team alternate
- Great for athletes who are interested in a competitive sport or trying out for high school cheer
Please contact Coach Melia with any questions regarding Team Evaluations or team placement.